April 07, 2009

Research 2009

Research Interests/Direction of Practice
I am enchanted by space and place. I pay attention to location, the animation of our surroundings and the relationship between energy and environment. I am drawn to expansiveness, to sparsely populated regions, to open plains and fields. I wonder how the landscape relates to my identity as an artist and a performer. How can we bridge the gap between our identity in performance and the embodied experience of our environment? Can we dance the landscape? Can we dance the room? Can we dance this body or that body? Can we dance this piece of writing? How can we dance this experience?

My research interests and studio practice encompass concepts of art, environment and identity by looking through the lenses of artistic practice in performance (dance, improvisation), film/video, environmental psychology, human geography. I would like to examine how space, place and environment are integral to artistic practice and performance, embedded in our cultures, bodies, social networks and senses as narratives